Friday 19 April 2019

Playing the Policeman in Woody Allen’s ‘Death’

Is he supposed to be an Irishman?
     No, I just chose to play
     him like that. My idea.
Is he supposed to be as gay
as a fashion designer on poppers?
     No, again, all that was just
     my own interpretation
     and not a textual must.
     And the peaked cap and police jacket
     I was given along with the part
     are abnormally Village People.
     Circumstance feeds art.
     And after the line where somebody
     suggests he has a wife,
     I wanted to pause for five seconds, pouting
     with eyes like a butcher’s knife.
Is he supposed to have eight bits
of toilet paper stuck to his face?
     No, I just cut myself shaving
     with a razor you could replace
     with a teaspoon, while distinguishing
     myself from my Scene One role.
Is he supposed to eat a banana
like a slut wrapped round a pole?
     No, we just thought the banana-skin
     could be a symbolic prop.
Is he supposed to be a numbskull?
     Yes, but I don’t know when to stop.